Can treat a wide range of bacterial infections, including ear, bladder, respiratory, salmonella and gonorrhea
Is also effective in treating stomach ulcers in combination with an acid reducer
Noticeable improvement of symptoms within as little as 1-3 days
Effective against bacteria that are penicillin resistant
Amoxicillin 500 mg
How to use
Take Amoxicillin orally, exactly as it is prescribed by your doctor. Do not take it in larger or smaller amounts than recommended and follow all directions on the prescription label. Do not change dose size or schedule without consulting your healthcare provider. Amoxicillin can be taken with or without food. Even if your symptoms improve before you are finished taking Amoxicillin for the prescribed number of days, you should continue to take it for the full length of time prescribed by your doctor.
PrecautionsDo not use Amoxil if you are allergic to Amoxicillin or to any other penicillin-based antibiotic, such as:
- Ampicillin (Omnipen, Principen)
- Carbenicillin (Geocillin)
- Dicloxacillin (Dycill, Dynapen)
- Oxacillin (Bactocill)
- Penicillin (Beepen-VK, Ledercillin VK, Pen-V, Pen-Vee K, Pfizerpen, V-Cillin K, Veetids, and others)
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs (especially cephalosporins such as Ceclor, Ceftin, Duricef, Keflex, and others) or if you have:
- A liver disease
- A kidney disease
- A bleeding or blood clotting disorder
- Mononucleosis (also called "mono")
- A history of diarrhea caused by taking antibiotics
- A history of any type of allergy
If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take Amoxicillin.
Drug InteractionsBefore taking Amoxicillin, inform your doctor if you are using any of the following medication:
- Methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall)
- Probenecid (Benemid)
- A sulfa drug (such as Bactrim or Septra)
- An antibiotic such as Azithromycin (Zithromax), Clarithromycin (Biaxin), Erythromycin (E.E.S., E-Mycin, Ery-Tab, Erythrocin), Telithromycin (Ketek) or Troleandomycin (Tao)
- A tetracycline antibiotic such as Demeclocycline (Declomycin), Doxycycline (Adoxa, Doryx, Oracea, Vibramycin), Minocycline (Dynacin, Minocin, Solodyn, Vectrin) or Tetracycline (Brodspec, Panmycin, Sumycin, Tetracap)
This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with Amoxicillin. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medication you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- Fever, sore throat and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash
- Nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Watery or bloody diarrhea
- Fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms
- Easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness
- Urinating less than usual or not at all
- Agitation, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior
- Seizure (black-out or convulsions)
Less serious side effects are more likely to occur, such as:
- Nausea, vomiting, stomach pain
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Swollen, black or "hairy" tongue
- Thrush (white patches or inside your mouth or throat)
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect.
If you forget to take a dose of Amoxicillin you should take the dose immediately when you remember. If it is already close to the next scheduled dosing time when you remember, you should take the next scheduled dose and skip the missed dose. DO NOT take extra medicine to make up for having missed a dose, and DO NOT take two doses at once. Either of these scenarios can result in unwanted side effects.
Brand(s): Svizmox, Amoxil, Wymox
Manufacturer: Svizera, GSK, Wyeth
To view PDF documents, you must have Adobe® Reader® installed on your computer. If you do not have Adobe Reader, download it from the Adobe Web site
Erythromycin is a drug used to treat a variety of infection, including streptococcal infections of the throat ("strep throat") and skin, pneumonia, legionnaires disease, acute pelvic inflammatory disease..
Azithromycin is used to treat a variety of anti-bacterial infections such as infections of the skin and ear and respiratory infections...
Ramipril is very effective in treating high blood pressure (hypertension), heart failure, and to improve survival rates after a heart attack...